Stationery List 2017-2018 3 folders pack of theme paper 12 inch ruler pencil box/ case glue stick/ bottle scotch tape pencils red pens yellow highlighter scissors colored pencils/and or markers 5 large book sox ( no black please) paper towels box of tissues container of Clorox wipes headphones (ear buds, beats, headphones, or wireless buds)
These items to be purchased through the school with the cost to be determined when you return: copybooks, homework book
Plan to use clear contact paper to cover all workbooks.
Summer Reading Assignment Hatchet Test Name___________________ Date _____________ _________/57 Vocabulary: Write the correct word from the bank that matches each definition below. (1 point each) 1. ______________ withdrew 2. ______________ equipment that sends out signals 3. ______________ to drive or push forward 4. ______________ inactive but capable of being active 5. ______________ rise or move forward 6. ______________ stuff 7. ______________ easily ignited 8. ______________ come out 9. ______________ compartment where the pilot sits 10. ______________ the darker stage of twilight 11. ______________ burn 12. ______________ light 13. ______________ with regret 14. ______________ having the power to weaken or destroy slowly 15. ______________ irregular air motion 16. ______________ undamaged in any way 17. ______________ happy, satisfied 18. ______________ pull 19. ______________ be amazed at 20. ______________ able to be heard turbulence receded gorge sear ruefully audible surge dormant ignite emerge flammable intact cockpit gratify transmitter dusk wrench corrosive marvel propel
Multiple Choice: Circle the best answer. (1 point each) 1. How did Brian make his shelter? a. He took pieces of the plane and made a shelter. b. He found a cave and made a branch wall to cover the front. c. He found a broken down cabin and fixed it up. d. He found a large hollowed out log to live in.
2. Who is the author of Hatchet? a. Mark Twain b. C.S. Lewis c. J.K. Rowling d. Gary Paulsen
3. How did Brian finally make a bow and arrow? a. He used a wire and willow stick. b. He used a shoe lace and branch. c. He used a shoe lace and willow stick. d. He used a shoe lace and a bone.
4. What in the survival kit ended up saving Brian? a. The matches b. The emergency transmitter c. The sleeping bag d. The food
5. What attacked Brian in the woods? a. Flies, a fish, a moose, a bear, and a skunk b. An Indian, a bear, a porcupine, flies, and a moose c. A bear, mosquitoes, a moose, a porcupine, and flies d. Mosquitoes, flies, a moose, a porcupine, and a skunk
6. What was Brian’s most important rule of survival? a. build fire and shelter b. self-pity doesn’t work c. don’t lose sight of your shelter d. make friends with animals
7. What genre is Hatchet? a. Historical fiction b. Realistic fiction c. Science fiction d. Non-fiction
8. What memory keeps haunting Brian throughout the whole story? a. Playing with Terry b. Seeing the bear c. Removing the porcupine quills d. “the Secret”
9. How did the pilot find Brian? a. He saw Brian when he was flying over. b. He had never stopped searching. c. He saw Brian’s fire. d. He heard the emergency transmitter.
Short Answer: Write the answer in a complete sentence. (5 points each) 1. How does Brian change while being out in the wilderness?____________________________________________ ______________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ 2. What is one problem Brian had to face while in the wilderness? ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
True/False: Circle the best answer. (1 point each) 1.true/false Brian discovered fire by using matches 2.true/false A tornado caused the airplane to move to the top of the lake 3.true/false Brian is going to visit his father for the summer. 4. true/false Brian is scared away from the raspberries by a moose. 5. true/false Brian learns that self-pity is useless. 6. true/false Brian’s mother gave him a pocket knife before he went to see his father. 7. true/false Brian tells his dad “the Secret.” 8. true/false A coyote saved Brian from the bear. 9. true/false Brian was in the Canadian wilderness for 22 days. 10. true/false Brian discovered fire when he threw his hatchet at a porcupine and hit the rock wall. 11. true/false Brian has mixed feelings about finding the items in the survival kit.
Figurative Language: Draw a line from the quote from the book, to the type of figurative language that it is. (1 point each)
He had probably swallowed a ton of it while he was swimming out of the plane. simile the The flies buzzed all around him. personification The memory was like a knife cutting into him.
Without warning, the engine coughed and died. metaphor hyperbole His stomach tightened in a series of rolling knots and his breath came in short bursts. idiom After learning of “the Secret” Brian had a real chip on his shoulder. onomatopoeia